This Cinephile

Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Wrap Up

Full List of Winners...
Best Picture - No Country For Old Men
Lead Actress - Marion Cotillard, La Vie En Rose
Lead Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men
Supporting Actress - Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton
Director - Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men
Foriegn Langauge Film - The Counterfeiters
Adapted Screenplay - Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men
Original Screenplay - Diablo Cody, Juno
Animated Feature - Ratatouille
Art Direction - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Cinematography - There Will Be Blood
Sound Mixing - The Bourne Ultimatum
Sound Editing - The Bourne Ultimatum
Original Score - Atonement
Original Song - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, "Falling Slowly" from Once!!!!!!!!!!!!
Costume - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Documentary Feature - Taxi to the Dark Side
Documentary Short Subject - Freeheld
Makeup - La Vie En Rose
Animated Short Film - Peter and the Wolf
Live Action Short Film - Le Mozart des Pickpockets
Visual Effects - The Golden Compass

I went 4/6 in the major categories for the second year in a row, totally screwing up the actress categories. I should have known better in the Best Actress category. The Oscars love their hot young things no matter how awful they were in the movie they are nominated for (see also: Halle Berry - Monster's Ball). I wouldn't have gone Tilda though. Overall, I was a very, very disappointing 8/24. Ha. I vow to do better next year!

Here are my personal best and worst moments from the Oscars:

Best Red Carpet Moment - Gary Busey goes all crazy and scares poor Jennifer Garner! I feel bad for Jennifer Garner but, hey, at least it was unpredictable, right!?

Worst Red Carpet Moment - Rumored couple Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz did NOT walk the red carpet together. You know... maybe it's a good thing since if they did, the world might explode from two much hotness.

Best Jon Stewart Joke - In reference to Norbit's Best Makeup nomination - "Too often the Academy ignores movies that aren't good."

Best Jon Stewart Joke #2 - In reference to Cate Blanchett's virsitility, Stewart mentioned her roles as Queen Elizabeth and Bob Dylan and then pointed out a role we may not know about. In No Country For Old Men, when Josh Brolin is being chased by the bull dog, Blanchett played the bull dog!

Best Presenters - James McAvoy and Josh Brolin who are both unbelievably hot, charming and downright funny.

Best Presenters #2 - Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen who came out to "fill in" for Dame Judi Dench and Halle Berry and then proceeded to fight over who got to be Halle Berry. I don't really think the joke went anywhere but it was still funny.

Worst Presenter - Jerry Sienfeld as the bee from Bee Movie. No one liked your movie, Jerry. Get over it.

Best Musical Moment - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova bring down the house with their soulful beautiful rendition of "Falling Slowly."

Worst Musical Moment - Three numbers from Enchanted? Each worse than the last? Actually, no, Amy Adams up there by her lonesome overenuciating and her trying her best to be cutesy was sort of painful.

Best Acceptance Speech - Javier Bardem who managed to be humble, charming, funny and sexy all at the same time. He even said half of his speech in Spanish. I have no idea what he said (something about Spain, ha) but he sounded sexy while doing it and it made his mama cry!

Worst Acceptance Speech - Diablo Cody who fancies herself a hipster chick but managed to say nothing more exciting than, "This is for the writers." Honest to blog, Diablo! Homeskillet, that was one doodle that can't be undid. (You know, I guess I'm glad she won because I don't know who else I would have voted for if I could vote but I will always hate her for those two lines alone).

Now it's time for the really important stuff...

Worse Dressed Male - Colin Farrell
Oh, Colin. You know it's bad when I (the person who loves long messy hair, beards, stubble etc.) think it's time to clean it up a little bit. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to iron your suit. I still love you though... even if you haven't made a good movie since Phone Booth.

Worst Dressed Female - Diablo Cody
I was fine with the leopard print dress, really. I get it, you're different. You have a tattoo of a naked lady on your arm and I'm fine with that. Even the skull and cross bone earrings I can handle. I'm a modern woman, I get it. Then you got on stage to accept your award and I saw that the slit of your dress went up all the way to your ******. Seriously, this is a classy event not a strip club. Tacky.

Best Dressed Male - Viggo Mortensen
This man is unbelievably sexy and he makes the beard work for him. I love the striped tie. And I love the long jacket. I love when men don't just wear normal tuxes for these shows and do something a little different.

Best Dressed Female - Keri Russell
In a sea of red and black, Keri wore a pretty pale pink / gray dress (I have no idea what color it actually is) but I loved it anyway. THIS picture doesn't do it justice though.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home