This Cinephile

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oscar Round-up and looking to next year

This year's Oscars are over. I beat Dane this year in our contest and that's all that really matters. I was 19/24 which I was very proud of... even if I did doubt Sean Penn's win. Slumdog winning everything under the sun didn't bother me as much as I thought (because it helped me WIN!). In spite of all the Slumdog crap, I was happiest to see Heath, Sean Penn and Dustin Lance Black (who gave the best, most moving speech of the night). The ceremony was really great, I thought. Sarah Jessica Parker was best dressed hands down. Jessica Biel was a hot mess. Judd Apatow's short film starring James Franco and Seth Rogen stole the show. Overall, it was a good ceremony.

Now... on to next year! Here is my year in advance predictions. I looked back at last year's and I was about half right which was really good, I thought. Anyway, we'll see how I do this time. Here are my early predictions for Oscars 2010.

Best Picture
Nine
Public Enemies
Shutter Island
Taking Woodstock
Untitled Nelson Mandela Project

Best Director
Clint Eastwood - Untitled Nelson Mandela Project
Ang Lee - Taking Woodstock
Michael Mann - Public Enemies
Rob Marshall - Nine
Martin Scorsese - Shutter Island

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis - Nine
Johnny Depp - Public Enemies
Leonardo DiCaprio - Shutter Island
Morgan Freeman - Untitled Nelson Mandela Project
Viggo Mortensen - The Road

Best Actress
Amy Adams - Julia and Julia
Nicole Kidman - Nine
Michelle Pfieffer - Cheri
Meryl Streep - Julia and Julia
Hilary Swank - Amelia

Best Supporting Actor
Billy Crudup - Public Enemies
Matt Damon - Untitled Nelson Mandela Project
Ben Kingsley - Shutter Island
Ewan McGregor - Amelia
Mark Ruffalo - Shutter Island

Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz - Nine
Patricia Clarkson - Shutter Island
Mo Nique - Push
Emily Mortimer - Shutter Island
Michelle Williams - Shutter Island

Quick Movie Reviews...
Friday the 13th - There was definitely room to improve upon the original here (unlike Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween where the originals are perfect and shouldn't have been touched). Overall, it was decent. They didn't ruin it, but they didn't really improve anything either. Grade - C

He's Just Not That Into You - Thank goodness for Ginnifer Goodwin who is adorable in this movie. The movie was kinda funny and kinda sweet but in the end became exactly what I thought it was trying not to be. But bonus points for a mostly engaging cast. Grade - C+

Back to regular reviews soooooooooon!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home